- Award for the highest scientific and artistic achievements in Croatian by the Croatian Academy of Science and Arts for 2018. The award is given for the work Increasing operational efficiency and improving integration of renewable energy sources with energy storage, which consists of 18 Q1 and 2 Q2 journal papers.
- Award Science by the University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing for exceptional research results in the previous five years in the field of power system economics, 2018.
- Award Vera Johanides by the Croatian Academy of Engineering, 2015.
- Award Science for young researchers by the Government of the Republic of Croatia, 2014.
- Award Science by the University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing for exceptional research results in the previous two years, 2012.
- Silver plaque Josip Loncar by the University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing for an exceptional PhD thesis, 2012.
- Award Hrvoje Pozar by the Croatian Power Society for a noteworthy diploma thesis in the field of power engineering, 2008.
- Award Hrvoje Pozar by the Croatian Power Society for remarkable results in power engineering studies at the undergraduate level, 2007.
- Bronze plaque Josip Loncar by the University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing as the best student in the field of power engineering in academic year 2006/07.
- Microgrid Positioning – uGRIP
PI: Hrvoje Pandzic
Partners: University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing – FER (Zagreb), Technical University of Denmark – DTU (Copenhagen), Institute for Information Technology – OFFIS (Oldenburg), and Končar Power Plant and Electric Traction Engineering Inc. – Končar KET (Zagreb)
April 2016-March 2019, awarded by ERA-Net Smart Grids Plus (1.116.000 Eur).
- Smart Integration of RENewables – SIREN (PI: Hrvoje Pandzic), December 2015-November 2018, awarded by the Croatian TSO Ltd. (HOPS) and Croatian National Science Foundation (260.000 Eur).
- Electric Vehicle BAttery Swapping Station – EV BASS (PI: Hrvoje Pandzic), October 2015-September 2018, awarded by the Croatian National Science Foundation (100.000 Eur).
- Systems of Low-Carbon Sustainable Multi-Energy Microgrids (PI: Hrvoje Pandzic), June 2015- November 2016, awarded by the Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund (25.000 Eur).
- Sustainable Power Systems (PI: Hrvoje Pandzic), September 2014 – December 2014, short-term research support, University of Zagreb.
- Generating Units Maintenance Scheduling using Mathematical Programming (PI: Hrvoje Pandzic), September 2010 – December 2010, Croatian National Science Foundation.
Participation in Research Projects
- Compact Urban Vacuum Sweeper with a Universal Platform for Various Types of Drives –
Diesel and Batteries
(PI: Ivan Franicevic, RASCO Ltd)
University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing – FER is the only partner of company RASCO in designing and prototyping a Compact Urban Vacuum Sweeper with a Universal Platform for Various Types of Drives. Co-PI’s from the FER side are in charge of designing mechanical drives (Prof. Mario Vrazic), battery packs (Prof. Hrvoje Pandzic) and ICT system for working parameter management (Prof. Vedran Podobnik), January 2017-December 2020, awarded by the European Regional Development Fund (4 MEur).
- CROSSBOW –
CROSS BOrder management of variable renewable energies and storage units enabling a transnational Wholesale market (PI: Antonio Marques, ETRA Investigación y Desarrollo, S.A.), November 2017 – October 2021, awarded by INEA through H2020 program (22 MEur).
- 3 Smart – Smart Building – Smart City – Smart Grid (PI: Mario Vasak, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing University of Zagreb), January 2017 – June 2019, awarded by ERDF and IPA via Danube Transnational Programme.
- Flex-ChEV – Flexible Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure (PI: Bernt A. Bremdal, Narvik University College), March 2014 – February 2016, awarded by Smart Grids Plus ERA-Net.
- FENISG – Flexible Energy Nodes in Low Carbon Smart Grid (PI: Igor Kuzle), October 2014 – September 2018, awarded by Croatian Science Foundation.
- DE-AR0000232 Energy Positioning: Economics and Control (PI: Daniel S. Kirschen), March 2012 – March 2015, awarded by USA Department of Energy, ARPA-E program.
- 036-0361557-1561 Power System Operation in Open Market Environment (PI: Sejid Tesnjak), January 2007 – January 2012, awarded by Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports.
- 2004-180 Development of an E-Learning Tool (PI: Predrag Pale), January 2004 – January 2008, awarded by Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports.
- Editor of IEEE Transactions on Power Systems since 2019.
- IEEE Transactions on Power Systems Outstanding Reviewer for 2018.
- IEEE Senior Member since 2017.
- International member of the PhD committee: Ignacio Iñigo Blanco at DTU, February 2019.; Carlos Adrian Correa Florez at MINES ParisTech, April 2019.
- Editor of Automatika – Journal for Control, Measurement, Electronics, Computing and Communications since 2016.
- Member of the Scientific Committee or the Technical Program Committee of the following conferences: European Energy Market 2019; IEEE EnergyCon 2018; International Youth Conference on Energy 2017; International Youth Conference on Energy 2015; IEEE EnergyCon 2016; IEEE EuroCon 2013.
- Technical Programme Chair of the Mediterranean Conference on Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Energy Conversion – MEDPOWER 2018.
- Chair of the track Future Power and Energy Systems at the IEEE EnergyCon 2014 conference.
- Best paper award finalist at the ICCVE 2013 Conference for paper Electric Vehicle Battery Swapping Station: Business Case and Optimization Model (authors: M. R. Sarker, H. Pandzic, and M. A. Ortega-Vazquez).
- Policies and Models for Integration of Energy Storage at Tsinghua University (invited by Dr. Ning Zhang), Beijing, China, February 27, 2019.
- Policies and Models for Integration of Energy Storage at Technical University of Denmark – DTU (invited by Dr. Henrik Madsen), Copenhagen, Denmark, February 22, 2019.
- An Accurate Charging Model of Battery Energy Storage at INFORMS 2018 (invited by Dr. Amir Mousavian), Phoenix, USA, November 4, 2018.
- Validation of Battery Models for Low-carbon Energy Systems at IEEE PES General Meeting 2018 (invited by Dr. Qixin Chen), Portland, USA, August 7, 2018.
- Investments in merchant energy storage: trading-off between energy and reserve markets at EURO 2018 (invited by Dr. Juan Miguel Morales Gonzales), Valencia, Spain, July 10, 2018.
- Energy Storage in Modern Power Systems at Colloquium of the Croatian Science Foundation and the Croatian Academy of Science and Arts, Zagreb, April 18, 2018.
- Smart Grid Projects at University of Zagreb Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing at Smart Grid Viewed from the Regional Cooperation Perspective, European Parliament, Brussels, November 28, 2017.
- Storage Investment Model Considering Energy and Reserves Markets at INFORMS 2017 (invited by Dr. Amir Mousavian), Houston, USA, October 22, 2017.
- Role of the Distributed Sources of Flexibility in the Current and Future Market Structures at Regional Energy Forum (REF 2017), Tuzla, Bosnia & Herzegovina, May 25, 2017.
- Toward Cost-Efficient and Reliable Unit Commitment Under Uncertainty at Symposia on Mathematical Techniques Applied to Data Analysis and Processing (SMATAD), Malaga, Spain, May 21, 2017.
- Energy Storage in Power Systems at Croatian Academy of Engineering, Zagreb, Croatia, April 24, 2017.
- Storage And Generation Expansion Problem Considering Primary Response at INFORMS 2016 (invited by Dr. Amir Mousavian), Nashville, USA, November 13, 2016.
- Introduction to interval and robust optimization (two-hour course) and Application of interval and robust optimization in power system problems (two-hour course) at DTU Summer School: Uncertainty in Electricity Markets and System Operation, Copenhagen, Denmark, July 4, 2016.
- Panel: Creating the infrastructure for the needs of plug-in hybrid and electric vehicle owners at E-GO Event, Porec, Croatia, May 13, 2016.
- Siting and Sizing of Distributed Battery Energy Storage in Electrical Grids at Next Generation Energy Storage Symposium, San Diego, USA, April 20, 2016.
- Integration of Energy Storage in Transmission Network at Technical University of Denmark – DTU (invited by Dr. Juan Miguel Morales Gonzales), Copenhagen, Denmark, December 10, 2015.
- Optimizing Primary Response in Preventive Security-Constrained Optimal Power Flow at INFORMS 2015 (invited by Dr. Amir Mousavian), Philadelphia, USA, November 4, 2015.
- Generator Maintenance Scheduling in Competitive Environment at International Conference on Operations Research (invited by Dr. Jalal Kazempour), Vienna, Austria, September 2, 2015.
- Catch 22: Electric Vehicles and the Required Infrastructure at Central European Student and Young Professionals Congress, Zagreb, Croatia, May 9, 2015.
- Siting and Sizing of a Distributed Battery Energy Storage at INFORMS 2014 (invited by Dr. Audun Botterud), San Francisco, USA, November 9, 2014.
- Integration of Energy Storage in Transmission Networks at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA, April 4, 2014.
- The True Inventor of Radio Communications at TELFOR 2008, Belgrade, Serbia, November 25, 2008.
Over 100 technical reports and studies co-authored for private investors (full list is available per demand). Some of these reports are:
- Demand Response Potential in Croatia (Croatia).
- Strategic Analysis of the Development of Energy Storage Projects in Croatia (Croatia).
- Concept and Needs for Distribution-level Market in Croatia (Croatia).
- Feasibility Study and Selection of Technology for Sudan’s First Nuclear Power Plant (Sudan).
- Analysis of Generators in Croatia to Provide Secondary Regulation (Croatia).
- Revision of Optimal Solution for the Joint Connection of Wind Power Plants Velika Glava (20.7 MW), Bubrig (18.4 MW) and Crni Vrh (4.6 MW) to Transmission Grid (Croatia).
- Settlement for Coordinated Regulation of System Voltage and Reactive Power in Croatia (Croatia).
- Planning of Medium-Voltage Distribution Network of the Koprivnica Area in the Next 20 Years (Croatia).
- Optimal Generator Maintenance Scheduling of Hydro Power Plants Senj and Sklope (Croatia).
- Setup of a Relay Protection at Transformer Station 20/6,3 kV Dobra (Croatia).
- Earthing System Primary Testing at Thermal Power Plant Sisak (Croatia).
Professional Activities and Organizing Skills
- Technical Program Chair of the Medpower 2018 conference.
- Head of the Organizing Committee of the IEEE EnergyCon 2014.
- Proposing Committee Member of the IEEE Milestone Krka-Šibenik Electric Power System, 1895.
- Secretary of the EuroCon 2013 Conference.
- Chair of the Industry Application Society IEEE Croatia Section, 2012-2015.
- Coordinator of societies and interest groups in IEEE Croatia Section, 2012.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the European Energy Market 2011 Conference.
- IEEE: Education, Industry Applications, Power and Energy, and Women in Engineering societies
- Applied Energy
- IEEE Systems Journal
- IEEE Transactions on Education
- IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids
- IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy
- IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution
- International Journal of Planning and Scheduling
- International Journal of Services Operations and Informatics
- International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems
- Pandzic, Hrvoje, Kuzle, Igor. Power Systems (in Croatian), high-school textbook with DVD and notebook for 2nd grade of a 3-year education in the field of electrotechnics, Neodidacta, Zagreb, 2009.
- Pandzic, Hrvoje, Kuzle, Igor. Power Systems (in Croatian), high-school textbook with DVD and notebook for technical high schools in the field of electrotechnics, Neodidacta, Zagreb, 2009.
- Pandzic, Hrvoje; Pasanovic, Branko. Energy (in Croatian), textbook with DVD and notebook for high schools of economics, Neodidacta, Zagreb, 2008.
- Future of Power Systems at High School Titus Brezovacki, Zagreb March 16, 2017.
- Power Systems at the High School Level – Series of Open Lectures, 2009 – 2011.
- Power Systems, Lecture to High School Teachers of Physics, December 2, 2009.